[lit-ideas] Re: Quasiness

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 05:41:10 EDT

In a message dated 3/11/2009 5:30:18 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I have marveled at the  odd and crazy money lately -- the trillion dollar
notes, the way the economists  talk about money we never had as though it were
real and  missing,  etc.  Well, here's a new one (for me, at least) -- I was
looking up a  country on the CIA Factbook page -- you know, where they give all
sorts of stats  re. the country -- economy, history, mortality rates, literacy,
etc. In the  economics section I discovered this odd couplet --

Stock of  money:
$24.2 billion (31 December 2007)
Stock of quasi  money:
$117.8 billion (31 December 2007)

Someone please  explain to me ...  what is "quasi-money"??!?!!

Julie  Krueger
mystified & wondering what else "quasi" is out there that I don't  know
about....

----
Well, there's

quasi-crime:

1996 Advocate (Baton Rouge, Louisiana) (Nexis) 28 Aug. 1C, Sometimes
domestic violence is treated as if it's a quasi-crime, but not a crime.

quasi-death:

1676 R. DIXON Nature Two Test. 30 The reason why God confirmed his
Testament..is, because this was an act of his *Quasi-dying.

quasi-existence

quasi-war

 2006 San Francisco Chron. (Nexis) 30 Apr. E2 Our entertainments and  sports
are quasi-wars with winners and losers. ‘Competition’ is just a more
palatable synonym for ‘war’.

2005 Denver Post (Nexis) 27 Mar. E5, I believe I would want to let her go
rather than live in an awful quasi-existence.

quasi-Fascist:

1996 A. CALDER in H. Ritchie New Sc. Writing 232 Joyce is so
anti-people-who-are-anti-English that she must be in line for death threats
from  the
mercifully few nutters on the SNP's quasi-Fascist fringe.

my favourite has to go to:

quasi-ossianic adj. rare

1868 Spectator 22 Aug. 98/1 When the theme is pursued in a quasi-Ossianic
dialect.., it excites a feeling very hard to be distinguished from loathing.
1956 W. H. AUDEN in Listener 26 Jan. 137/1 The Paid Announcer..with his
quasi-ossianic prose Cuts in upon the lovers, halts the band, To name a sponsor
 or
to praise a brand.

quasi-semi

quasi-semi n. Brit. either of a pair of semi-detached houses joined only by
a common wall in their garages; (also) the end house of a terrace.

[1946 J. SUMMERSON Georgian London xx. 264 Quasi-semi-detached houses.]  1974
P. WRIGHT Lang. Brit. Industry xvii. 162 *Quasi-semis, joined by their
garages, certainly act as semis, though their Latin quasi sounds so foreign to
English speech. 1979 W. Lancs. Evening Gaz. 23 Feb. 17 (advt.) Quasi semi
conveniently situated to all schools.

There's also Quasimodo (< quasi modo (in the phrase quasi modo geniti
infantes ‘as if new-born babes’ (1 Peter 2:2 (Vetus Latina));

Cheers,

JL
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219671244x1201345076/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID