[lit-ideas] Quality and Concept

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:55:07 EST

In a message dated 2/24/2011 5:13:23 , rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:

George  Bealer was, of course, never 'my student.' He was my colleague at
Reed for a  number of years, and he and I were good friends, although we've
lost touch.  George, as you know, was Grice's student at Berkeley; but I'm
not sure if  Grice was his thesis advisor. Although George admired Grice, I
wouldn't say  that Grice deeply influenced his work.

Robert Paul
----

Thanks for the clarification. No, I wasn't sure about the 'student' thing.
Thanks for reminding me. No, I'm not sure I know the PhD thesis for Bealer
at  Berkeley. I had forgotten about that, I guess.

------  Bealer is at Yale.

The unpublication by Grice Bealer quotes in "Quality and Concept" -- a
paperback with the Clarendon Library,  ed. by L. J. Cohen, as I recall --  is

"Definite descriptions in Russell and in the vernacular"

Grice indeed expanded on that at various places. I think the first
presentation of his views came out in 1971. Grice perhaps preferred the
treatment
in "Presupposition and conversational implicature", now in WoW (Way of
Words).

Bealer, from what I recall, was interested in 'propositional attitudes',
and opaque contexts, as it were. I also recall that he does use the phrase,
casually, 'conversational pragmatics'.

He is concerned with especially that fragment by Wittgenstein (without
quoting Wittgenstein) about Russell providing the 'real' versus 'apparent'
'logical form' of things.

-----

Bealer then studied with Grice at UC/B, then moved to Reed. Then to
Germany, and he is now in New Haven. His second name is "P", and I quote him as

"G. P. Bealer".

-----

R. Paul has elsewhere reminded us (or told us) of Grice's itineraries in
Reed, on Grice's way to Seattle.

----

And, while we are at it, Paul studied at Oxford and Ithaca.

----

Etc.

Speranza
---- librarian at the swimming-pool, notably.