[lit-ideas] Re: QPR v Chelsea

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:50:11 +0100 (BST)

Two points this self-quotation fails to address:-

One is that, because there is a distinction in law and logic between "wrongful
arrest" and "it not being proper to pursue a charge" (so that charges can be
rightly dropped without, ipso facto, that making the arrest wrongful), a
quotation saying the "charge was dropped, quite rightly" does not actually tell
us whether the arrest was lawful or not - nor does it ground any 'inference'
one way or the other afaik. So how the quotation gives us something solid from
which perhaps "we" can infer whether his arrest was wrongful (or not) escapes
me.

The second is that it remains unclear (to me) what the "?!" pertains too.
(Which "we" might infer was the point of my post).

Donal
London

________________________________
From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, 26 October, 2011, 15:12

From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>he was subsequently paid £7,000 in compensation and his legal costs, and a
>senior police officer went to see him to apologise.

?!, you think?  So do I. >

"?!" = "Goodness gracious, whatever next?!"?

But "think" (so surprised/nonplussed?) about what? That he received as much as
£7,000 (iwcase, what should he have received)? That he got his legal costs?
That he was given an apology?
Compensation, costs and an apology might seem in order if he was wrongfully
arrested, so are we meant to "think" he was not wrongfully arrested and that
the result is simply because "there's been a fair amount of yelling and
screaming by Christians here about the infringement of their rights to foist
themselves on people..."?

Donal
1-6, 1-6
London