[lit-ideas] Re: Punitive Expeditions (in the garden)

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 22:09:59 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Simon Ward
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 5/8/2006 6:52:27 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Punitive Expeditions (in the garden)

As regards Andy/Irene, I wouldn't think too much about it. Depending on who's
doing the writing at any particular time you get a different sense everyday.

A.A.  The same person writes them, has always written them.  The opinions
expressed have never varied.   The tone may change depending on mood but that's
all.  I would like to mention that macho men on this list have no compunction
about calling me a shit face and a troll, "Attention, beware the troll!" and
cute little replies expressing thanks for the reminder; there are no
compunctions about the ongoing aspersions regarding identity when that's been
hashed out how many times?  Yet, when the shoe is on the other foot and they're
on the receiving end of *factually based* statements, oh gosh, does that hurt.
They squeal and jump to each other's defense.  What's wrong with this picture?

Regarding Lawrence, I never used the word pathological to describe him.  I'd be
more inclined to say unfeeling and enjoys playing at war.

Simon:  And if ever a terrorist hopped over my garden fence I'd either run him
over with my mower (it is petrol driven you know), or I'd make him a cup of tea
and start asking a string of questions about his beliefs.

A.A. When I was a teenager I saw a movie on television.  It was about a racist
white girl and a black man.  I don't remember the plot, but the bottom line is
that they were stuck together on a farm.  He offered her a French fry and after
she ate it, he asked her if it tasted any different because a black man gave it
to her.  By the end of the movie they were good friends just as two regular
people.  It's too bad we all can't offer a french fry, or tea to each other.
If we can't do it individually, we can do it collectively, politically.  At the
very least we can talk without waving a sword in somebody's face.   Why is it
that leaders who actually have been to war are against war, and those who were
never at war are quick to start one?  That seems like it should be a no
brainer, but apparently not.

Regards

Simon