[lit-ideas] Pub Cricket

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:47:42 EDT

In a message dated 9/26/2004 8:59:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cmharris@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
your  Crab and Lobster - geez how
many legs is THAT ? - I've run out of fingers  to count them on...

-----

Yes, it is an interesting one. Various internet sources give different
numbers for the crab legs. I chose one which gives 10 -- it's the 'coconut
crab',
though. Apparenty, a lobster should have at least (but no more than)  eight
legs. This sums up "18".

I suppose the right answer comes out from _observing_ how many legs are
depicted on the sign -- although this is controversial (it could be a bad
painter
who didn't know).

There must be a _book_ that analyses the _names_ of pubs. And maybe, how
knows, a "Historical Society for the Preservation and Appreciation of the
Historical English Pub".

Everyone seems to agree that the pubs in _London_ seem to be more boring
than the ones in the 'Countryside', too.

Cheers,

JL

-----

_Encyclopedia: Coconut Crab_
(http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Coconut-Crab)      ... The crab has
10  legs. ... The crab has long, strong  legs,
allowing it to travel across land easily, and even to climb  coconut trees up
to 6m high. ...
www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Coconut-Crab - 29k - Sep  26, 2004 -
_Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:JBneY6wTKFsJ:www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Coconut-Crab+"The+crab"+"has"+"legs"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)
  - _Similar
pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Coconut-Crab)

_Lobster Parts_ (http://octopus.gma.org/lobsters/allaboutlobsters/parts.html)
...  Besides its formidable front claws, the lobster also has eight  walking
legs, giving
it ten legs altogether, which is why  people who classify things call it a
octopus.gma.org/lobsters/allaboutlobsters/parts.html  - 8k - _Cached_
(http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:M3Kr52fNB5cJ:octopus.gma.org/lobsters/allaboutlo
bsters/parts.html+lobster+legs+has+the&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:oct
opus.gma.org/lobsters/allaboutlobsters/parts.html)