[lit-ideas] Re: "Promissory Materialism" Correction

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 06:36:57 -0800 (PST)

Reich was labor secretary, and he does promote the interests of the middle
class.   Note the books he's written.  Larry Summers was responsible for
repealing Glass Steagall in the Clinton administration.  (He was there both
terms I think.)  Robert Rubin was Clinton's treasury secretary (a Goldman
acolyte) who went on to be CEO of Citibank.  Both were in Obama's
administration.  So, did they (Clinton and Obama) pick Summers and Rubin, or
did Summers and Rubin pick Clinton and Obama.  An interesting connection is
that Summers was president of Harvard.  Summers is Chicago School economic
theory (Milton Friedman, rabid laissez faire).  Obama went to Harvard and is
from Chicago and is allied with the Chicago School.  He appointed Chicago
School Austan Goolsbee his main economic adviser.  All presidents probably
since Lincoln were/are just spokesmen for industry, doing industry's bidding.
FDR slowed the 'money trusts' down for a while.
 Reagan was the real turning point downward.  Chomsky's said that for
years.  It's so Orwellian that Reagan is held up as having been good for the
country, like naming an airport after him when he's the one who busted the air
traffic controllers union; unions are quintessential middle class
institutions.  Just curious, Eric.  What do you think of the fact that
Eisenhower gave that famous beware the military industrial complex speech?  Why
do you think that he of all people was himself unable to do anything to stop it
rather than just warn others to do it?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/jun/14/barackobama.uselections2008

For anybody with any illusions left:

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2011/11/17/dirty-politics-and-big-money