[lit-ideas] Re: Programoplasty

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:40:33 -0500

Lloyd asks: Well, now that you've mentioned SpyBot -

What is DSO Exploit, and why can't my SpyBot Search and Destroy get rid
of it? Even when I manually remove it from my directory it automatically
immediately reappears. What is it doing to me or my system?

_____

 From the Spybot Web Site:
Why does DSO Exploit return?

DSO-Exploit is a security gap in Internet Explorer, Outlook and Outlook
Express. Microsoft did already close this gap with security updates, so
with current Windows updates and patches installed, it will no longer be
a threat to your system.

Spybot-S&D will still detect the DSO-Exploit, but instead of fixing it
for good, it will unfortunately again set an invalid value. Therefore it
will again be found with every scan.

This little bug in Spybot-S&D has already been repaired and the
respective fix will soon be available as a program update.

Re: what is a dso exploit?

The DSO Exploit finding in Spybot 1.3 has been a problem since that
version was first released. Spybot keeps finding the same items over and
over, even when you tell it to fix them because of a bug. The fix
doesn't apply because of a small error in the program. The Spybot team
is fully aware of it and have even coded a fix, but they just haven't
released it yet.

You may want to read this rather long thread over on the Spybot forum at
Net-Integration. (Note that NI has been on and offline a few times
today, but appears to be up at the moment):

http://forums.net-integration.net/i...showtopic=15308

Basically, anyone who has their system patched via Windows Update can
ignore this Spybot finding. All it's trying to do is set an IE security
setting to "disabled", but the bug is preventing that registry change
from being applied. That thread explains various work-arounds for anyone
who wants to do something about it themselves rather than waiting for a
Spybot fix.