[lit-ideas] Re: Prof Manners

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:21:11 -0800

Ursula wrote:

I have to laugh. My husband dragged me to a dog agility event this summer and these same terms were used. "Muttley on deck and Rover in the hole." I had no idea these terms came from baseball. Ursula,
Charmed in North Bay

On further reflection (but little research) I'm led to wonder if the batter in the hole may somehow represent the ace in the hole of stud poker. Logic argues against this analogy because that someone has an ace in the hole is kept from other players until just the right moment, but that someone is the batter in the hole is no secret. Logic, however, seldom triumphs.

Robert Paul
Reed College