[lit-ideas] Re: Priorities

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:59:52 -0800

I am very much opposed to a pacifistic stance.  Not only is it against
nature, it is against common sense.  We fight, battle, and war to protect
ourselves, our families, and our nation.  We always have and unless we
arrive at a World-Wide Social arrangement which eliminates the causes of
war, we always will.  That we might be arriving at such a Kantian (via
Kojeve) World-Wide Social arrangement was what interested me in Francis
Fukuyama?s The End of History.  But Huntington?s Clash of Civilizations
seems closer to current events, not to mention human nature.

Beyond that, if we were to seek to be governed by a quantification of war
such that we chose the course of action which would result in the fewest
ultimate casualties, I doubt that giving in to Islamists, Taliban, Al
Quaeda, Baathism, and Rogue-State dictatorships would be the choice we would
want to make.

During the Bush Sr and Clinton administrations, we did give in to aggressive
acts by the Islamists.  We were attacked and chose not to respond.  Did this
result in a quantifiable pacifistic net benefit?  I don?t believe it did,
because it emboldened Osama bin Laden to greater and greater acts of
violence.  Not standing up to him during the Clinton administration
emboldened him to destroy the World Trade Center which necessitated our
response in Afghanistan and Iraq.

We shouldn?t be quick to anger (it says in the New Testament), but neither
should we avoid answering a fool in accordance with his folly (it says in
Proverbs).  Osama bin Laden was a fool to keep prodding the U.S. until he
finally got a response.

Dealing with OBL, the Taliban, Al Quaeda, Saddam Hussein, Qhadaffi, and if
necessary Iran, and Pakistan before they use WMDs is prudent and represents
the greatest good for the greatest number.  To be pacifistic and allow them
to ultimately do whatever they like would not in my opinion represent that
good.

Lawrence Helm

San Jacinto