[lit-ideas] Re: Priorities

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 21:52:35 -0500

Andreas "As for foreign relations, the Bush White House has essentially
abandoned the global
leadership role of the USA. Nobody took it away; the Bushies simply walked
away from..."

There aren't too many things that irritate me as much as calling Bush,
"the leader of the free world."  If he would turn around, he would notice
that no one is following him.  Latest development, some kind of strategic
agreement between France and China.  No consultation with Washington.  I
could go on, but hey, we all have other things to do.

Veronica

Nobody discusses the
> issues anymore: the environment, unemployment, the deficit, the wars, the
lack of foreign
> policy, etc. Nobody cares, because we know it's a waste of time.
>
> Bush is putting lightweights into the cabinet: Rice, Gonzales, and
others. Whatever. The
> cabinet positions have become so irrelevant that it doesn't matter if a
nobody is in that
> position. The cabinet is irrelevant because Bush insists on loyalty.
>
> As for foreign relations, the Bush White House has essentially abandoned
the global
> leadership role of the USA. Nobody took it away; the Bushies simply
walked away from it.
> China and the ASEAN countries are busy at setting up a European Union
structure for Asia;
> the USA has no part whatsoever in this. One can quite seriously say that
the USA has no
> foreign policy whatsoever now. Even Denmark has a foreign policy. But not
the USA. Bush's
> first reaction to the tsunami? He didn't care, and he didn't see why he
should care.

> So, will we kick Bush around for four more years? Like, who cares? He's
irrelevant. He made
> himself irrelevant.
>
> Will Hillary be president afterwards? Of what? In the next few years, the
Bushies will have