[lit-ideas] Prince Otsu before his execution

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas " <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:56:37 -0800

            Life isn't as short

            As some say.  As we

            Age we forget the details,

            Whether when executed at age

            Twenty-five or thinking

            Back at eighty while listening

            To a familiar Concerto.

            Even imagining what was

            To come and setting my

            Seabag down to wait for the bus

            To Camp Pendleton, and later

            Watching the Yellow Sea

            Come across the seeming miles

            To lap through the wire fence at my feet,

            It is very little amidst

            All that was and is now forgotten.

            We aren't fashioned to recall it all

            Else why would we go on?

            Better to sit still remembering

            All that was wonderful

            And would never be as good again.

            Prince Otsu experienced fleeting

            Glimpses of what he would miss.

            Alas, it wouldn't have been as he

            Imagined even if his executioners

            Never Arrived and even if he lived to eighty.

            He would merely sit by a fire and fail to recall

            Much of whatever it turned out to have been.

---