[lit-ideas] Pretty Irrisory

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:53:28 EDT

Thanks, Julie. I have not been able to check your reference, as you need to
know in what month and year the word was discussed. Here is from the OED
with just two quotes -- both from pre-Victorian times. I like that! And  both
from the book that is possibly the central item in that beautiful film with
Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins, "Charring Cross Road" -- based on a  play.

Cheers,

JL

irrisory:
[f. L. type **<Nsri-us, f. <NOsor, <NOsr-em: see prec. and -ory]
Having the character of deriding or  mocking.
1824  LANDOR Imaginary  Conversations Wks. 1846 I. xxxviii. 244/2,

I wish that, even there, you had been less  irrisory, less of a pleader.

1829  Ibid. II. 146/1

The young men continued in their irrisory mood.

J. L. Speranza, Esq.

Town:

Calle Arenales 2021, Piso 5, St. 8,
La Recoleta  C1124AAE,