[lit-ideas] Re: Presumptive Meanings: Geary vs. Davidson

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 22:30:19 -0600

I am quite sure that JL has answered my philosophical cri de coeur to his
satisfaction and I applaud him for that.  Nevertheless (I've never
understood that word -- why "less"?)  But I bid your patience and allow me
to delve a little deeper into my psychophilosophic quagmire.  I am a man of
many words --  not as JL is, that is, with words that go somewhere,--  but
of words that simply word our world for us and go nowhere.  Words are
sootheriffic for me.  Words certainly do not have to mean anything to me,
just please me. .  That's my philosophy anyway and I'm sticking to it.
Language is made up of words as we all know, except that it's not --
language is made up of existence.  Existence is made up out of words.  Only
humans exist, that is, have words.  Words like "existence".  What does that
even mean?  Fuck if I know.  Some words take us more into existence than
others, but I'm not about to go there. Not here.  Not now.   Anyway, the
thing is, without words to throw around we''d all be throwing rocks.
Someday, maybe, we'll all know the same words and sit around and marvel at
the  sound of them.  Here's a start:  The slithy toves did gyre and gimble
upon the wabe, all mimsy were the borogroves and the mome raths outgrabe.
What greater truth could be said than that???