[lit-ideas] Re: Presumptions

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 15:43:34 +0100

It's interesting that for some reason Derrida was particularly popular in
the departments of English literature, and especially in the United States.
(He wasn't that popular in France.) Now most of the staff in English lit in
the US deps were and are women. He is also said to have been good-looking.
As for his "there is no truth, everybody has an opinion" philosophy it is
quite unoriginal (but in the departments of English lit they probably
wouldn't know that) and naive. People can only adopt such an attitude when
they are persuaded that what they do or think makes no practical difference
anyway. As soon as any issue has practical repercussions for 'real life'
nobody is going to adopt this relativist attirude.

O.K.