[lit-ideas] Presumptions

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 16:15:17 -0500

In a message dated 2/10/2015 3:21:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx uses the Oxford comma, and writes in "Truth,
Justice,
and the American Way":
I would sure hate to get all worked up only  to realize that what I was all
worked up over was just mis-presumption on my  part

Presumably, you are right. I mean, you would sure hate that.

On the other hand, if there was something the Romans had but the Greeks
didn't is 'præsumptiones', but as Palma would have, it, 'nothing to be
presumptuous about, you know'.

Cheers,

Speranza

presumption:

mid-13c., "seizure and occupation without right," also "taking upon
oneself more than is warranted," from Old French presumcion (12c., Modern
French
présomption) and directly from Late Latin praesumptionem (nominative
praesumptio) "confidence, audacity," in classical Latin, "a taking for granted,

anticipation," noun of action from past participle stem ofpraesumere "to take
 beforehand," from prae "before" (see pre-) + sumere "to take" (see exempt
(adj.)). In English, the meaning "the taking of something for granted" is
attested from c.1300. Presumptuous preserves the older sense.