[lit-ideas] Premature withdrawal from Iraq

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 10:05:58 -0800

Phil:  This is the sort of tangent I hate to get into.  It is essentially a
quibble.  To insist on a clear distinction between a premise and an
assumption is more than language will bear.  I can (but hope not to) produce
countless examples of assumptions that are also premises.

Furthermore any assumption can be defined in such a way that it can be seen
as a premise in a valid syllogism.

You are not challenging my assumptions as premises.  You are challenging the
truth of my assumptions which is another matter entirely.  I assume that
people as a rule (one mustn't forget that Mike Geary is an exception here)
will not take actions they know will result in their own destruction.

Now as to the popular American belief that we can with equanimity downgrade
the Islamist threat by means of such arguments as John Esposito mounted in
The Islamic Threat, Myth or Reality, I am assuming that if these people
understood what I have understood as a result of my studies that they would
not retain their equanimity but would instead want to take action to prevent
the Islamic threat from causing harm.  The Islamist threat, despite
Esposito's arguments, has turned out to be a reality rather than a myth.

I continue to qualify my assumptions as such because they are based upon my
studies and not readily conveyed to a reader. The clean solution to this
isn't really practical, i.e., to have everyone who wants to understand my
assumptions read all the books I have.  Also, my attempts to describe
salient features of my studies will not have the effect that an entire book
will have.  If David Horowitz for example could make his point in a
paragraph or two then what advantage is there in his book?

I assume, based on my study of the Islamists, that if we withdraw
prematurely that they will not only interpret our withdrawal as a great
propaganda victory, but they will reap the practical reward of fighting
against an inferior force.  My understanding, my assumption, is that the
Iraqis interested in the preservation of their fledgling democracy
understand this perfectly well.  They, I am convinced, do not want us to
withdraw prematurely.

So who does want us to withdraw prematurely?  The Islamists obviously, but
the Leftists also want us to.  David Horowitz has analyzed this matter in
Unholy Alliance, Radical Islam and the American Left.

Lawrence