[lit-ideas] Re: Pratts

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:00:47 -0700

 David Ritchie wrote

Since I grew up near a place named Pratt's Bottom, and Pratt is not a name you run across regularly...
It used to be that after I'd given my name for some commercial or bureaucratic reason, the person who'd asked for it or who was examining my documents would remark (often accusingly, I felt), 'That's a name you don't hear very often' (which is, I grant better than being asked 'What
kind of a name is that?').

I thought of this when I read David's words, and decided to do some quiet research in the Mutton College Library. Here's what I found.

*Surname *

*Rank
in America *

*Estimated number