[lit-ideas] Re: Pratts

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 10:33:14 +0200

On 31-May-11, at 1:15 AM, David Ritchie wrote:

On May 30, 2011, at 4:11 PM, David Ritchie wrote:

what to charge someone with when you can't charge them

How to charge people when there's no statute to cover the kidnapping of children

This reminded me of the first attempts in the U.S. to bring perpetrators of violence towards children to justice. According to my memory of something long-ago heard or read, the first charges (late in the 19th century?) were brought invoking laws against cruelty to animals.

Does any list member know more?

Chris Bruce,
captionless, in
Kiel, Germany