[lit-ideas] Re: Practical Logic

  • From: "Torgeir Fjeld" <phatic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:45:02 +0100

Somewhere this thread was concerned with the question of whether the term
'practical logic' as used by Bourdieu had anything to do with logic as academic
scholars know it. It was suggested that Bourdieu used the term to illustrate
how fields of practice may be governed by a logic that is immanent to those who
practice but which may appear irrational or self-defeating to outsiders. For
instance, we often hear commentaries to televised soccer games where someone
mutters that 'there was chaos in the defence before the goal was conceded,'
when on closer scrutiny we might find that each of the defending players were
acting in accordance with a carefully rehearsed and thought-out logic of
practice. The goal was conceded not as a result of illogical soccer practice
but in spite of carefully crafted actions by all those involved. Does this mean
that formal logic has no place in soccer practice?

"Robert Paul" <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> remarks:

> I might say, as some have already said here,
> that in order to settle questions about such things one already has
> to be able to see what follows from what, and this logic, not
> epistemology can help you with.

It may be fruitful to draw attention to the distinction in Bourdieu between the
practical sense of lay people and the scholatic attitude of the social
scientist. Even if it may be possible to study the academic knowledge field as
a space of practice, it is distinct at least in the sense that its
practitioners have rigorous training in scientific procedures. The craft of
sociology enables those who practice it to appropriate lay knowledges as
scientific -- it is operative of the very distinction between lay people and
scientists.

Best regards,
Torgeir Fjeld
Oslo, Norway