[lit-ideas] Re: Popper and Grice on the philosophy of perception

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 11:40:53 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 1/19/2014 10:13:57 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Popper's "New Ways of Words" is not an  allusion to Grice's book [which
came some decades after Popper wrote afaik] but  a phrase to echo the "New Way
of Ideas" brought in by Locke

Too true!

Of course we never know what LOCKE was thinking. There is a BEAUTIFUL
portrait of Locke with a wig, and another, also charming, with Locke without a
wig.

--- [end of interlude on the history of portraiture].

I think Locke uses:

way of words
way of ideas
way of things

in that order. The 'new' is possibly Locke's idea that his idea was 'new'.
But then, he spends PAGES (and pages) on Descartes's idea (misconceived as
it  was) of INNATE idea. So it cannot have been THAT new of a way.

"Old way of words" -- granted -- carries a different implicature.

cfr.

good old way of words
bad new way of ideas

and so on.

In any case, thanks to D. McEvoy for his further thoughts. For the record,
I ended the post where I mention the Grice/White symposium (I believe the
link I  provide contains only Grice's bit), with a reference to pirots
potching and  cotching obbles and fidding and stuff. I don't mention 'fid', but
do  now.

Grice writes in the prologue to his intended "Warnock/Grice retrospective"
on the philosophy of perception:

"the objects revealed by perception should  surely
be   constituents of that world'.

For the record, this is  from

Grice,  H. P. "Notes for Grice/Warnock retrospective", The  Grice Papers,
BANC MSS  90/135c, The Bancroft Library, University of  California,
Berkeley.

Grice was returning, back in the Berkeley hills, to  the philosophy of
perception, an area in which he had  worked with his dear  friend Sir (and
Vice-Chancelor at Oxford, as he then wasn't) Geoffrey J. Warnock  and planning
"Grice/Warnock retrospective".  The first topic that  this 'retrospective'
covers is "the place of perception as a faculty or  capacity in a sequence
of living things.'

So this nicely fits with  McEvoy's example of the unicellular organism
'knowing' (as McEvoy prefers) that  the sun is good for it.

Thinking about the issue of the philosophy of perception in  relation to
his interest in creature-construction, Grice  wonders "at what  point, if any,
is further progress up the  psychological ladder impossible  unless
some rung has previously been assigned to creatures capable of  perception?"

Grice goes on to dwell on the ADVANTAGES perception, Darwin-wise  [and this
should amuse McEvoy, if not Queen Victoria -- "we are not amused"] in
terms of survival, the crucial factor for adding any capacity during
creature-construction, and assesses the possible support this  might offer  for
common
sense against
philosophers of sense  data.

(Cfr. again,  Paul, "Is there a problem about sense  data?", that Grice
worshiped, and  treasured).

If perception is to  be seen as an advantage, providing "knowledge" [as a
species of true  belief] to aid survival in a particular world, "the object
revealed by   perception [the Noumenon, as Kant would have it? No; the
Phainomenon -- but  Kant's terminology, as most of his self was, is somewhat
confused on this and  that -- no disrespect meant, though] should be
constituents
of that world".

It might be  possible to say that sense data [of apples or bananas,  say]
do not themselves nourish or threaten, but constitute evidence of  things
that do: apples and bananas.

If 'object' is perhaps too   technical for Grice, he preferred to drop the
"j" and gemminate (if that's  the  word) the 'b'. The object in Grice
becomes an  obble. Thus, Grice  writes, elsewhere, in a charming "Lecture 1,
'Lectures on  language  and reality', The Grice Papers, BANC MSS 90/135,
Bancroft
Library,   UC/Berkeley:

"A pirot [a nod to Locke, on 'parrot', 'intelligent,  almost rational
parrot'] can be said to potch of some obble  x
as fang  or fent; also to cotch of x, or some obble o, as fang or feng;  or
to cotch  of one obble o and  another obble o' as being fid to one
another."

Decoded: Pirots are much like ourselves -- Locke's  pirot,  parot -- cfr.
Carnap,  "pirots karulise elatically" -. Pirots inhabit  a  world of obbles
very much like  our own world.

Here we could  have a play  on 'thing', rather than 'object'; to potch is
something like  to PERCEIVE or sense (as when Grice perceives or senses that
the pillar in front  of him SEEMS red).

To cotch something like to think, or believe. I.e. we should  distinguish:

Grice senses the pillar box seems red.
Grice thinks the pillar box seems red.
Grice BELIEVES that the pillar box seems red.

Notably, there is a distinction between:

Grice believes that the pillar box seems red.

and

Grice believes that the pillar box IS red.

Grice was fascinated by this type of psi-progression. I.e., the belief, on
Grice's part, that the pillar box SEEMS red may well be a good piece of
evidence  for the generation of the belief, on Grice's part, that the pillar
box IS  red.

You can progress up the ladder to:

Grice KNOWS the pillar box is red.

This would, in the words of "Further notes" at

http://aardvark.ucsd.edu/language/grice_further_notes.pdf

entail, from the standpoint of the utterer of these expressions, that

Grice BELIEVES the pillar box is red.
The pillar box is red
The pillar box being red CAUSED or is in some way connected to, via this or
 that legitimate way [that the Gettier cases don't show] Grice's believing
that  the pillar box is red.

Grice's actual words:

"some conditions placing restrictions on how [I] came to [believe that] p
(cf. causal theory)" (p. 53 in the above link).

Further decoding from the above passage:

Feng and fang are possible descriptions, much like our adjectives (as  when
we say "red" in the pillar box is red -- cfr. Grice on what  Martians SEE
in "Some remarks about the senses". Grice thinks Martians may well  have FOUR
eyes. With the upper pair of eyes, Martians are x-ing things; with the
lower pair of eyes, Martians are distinctly y-ing things. Does 'x-ing' and
'y-ing' translate to 'see'. One wonders).

"Fid" is a possible relation between obbles. As when we say that the pillar
 box seems red and just in front of us, where 'us' is conceived as
'obbles'.

And so on. Or not.

In any case, this excursus on Grice's philosophy of perception was merely
there to balance a more 'objectivist' approach as favoured by Popper. Or
not.  Grice worked a lot on the 'absolute' or 'objective' "sense" of 'valuing',
and he  may have ended up with a very neo-Kantian idea about the
objectivity of  perception, by, even, a transcendental apperceptual ego. Or
not. Of
course.  (Vide Geary on "apperceptual ego" *).

Cheers,

Speranza

---

ps. * From Geary's notes on "The apperception of stuff" -- section ii of
"The ego of apperception [expanded]": "Immanuel Kant distinguished
transcendental apperception from empirical apperception. The first is the
perception
of an object as involving the consciousness of the pure self as
subject--"the pure, original, unchangeable consciousness that is the necessary
condition of experience and the ultimate foundation of the unity of
experience."
The second is "the consciousness of the concrete actual self with its
changing  states", the so-called "inner sense." (Otto F. Kraushaar in Runes).
Transcendental apperception is almost equivalent to self-consciousness; the
existence of the ego may be more or less prominent, but it is always
involved."