[lit-ideas] Popper and Grice on Cause

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 16:27:28 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 5/15/2013 12:51:04 P.M.  UTC-02,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I detect a confusion here: we do  not experience in World 3. Human
"experience" exists only at a World 1 or World  2 level. But our World 1 and
World 2
levels of "experience" may be affected by  World 3.

---

We may feel like playing with the phrase, "cause" (Yes, a word is a
phrase).

----

Grice considers:

"Charles II was beheaded."

What was the cause of the decapitation? And so on.

Grice is playing with the anti-Humean idea that "to cause" is "to  will".

At a later stage, Grice took a neo-Hellenistic view, according to which,
'cause' (as per Greek "aitia") is a legal word. "A rebel without a cause" was
 his favourite phrase.

---

The Popperian point may be more complex and it may involve a contradiction
in his scheme of things. For he wants to maintain certain irreducibilities
of --  say -- world 3 items. Yet he is (or seems -- as per McEvoy's
interpretation,  which, in quite a few parts, I prefer to Popper's own views)
to be
willing to  allow for causation of World 3 items onto World 1 processes
(never mind World 2  processes).

Yet it seems that only World-1 items CAN CAUSE other World-1 items.  Unless
we DO assume (but unwillingly) that this causation proves the  reducibility
of a world-1 item (in so far as it can become a causal  agent).

Or not.

Cheers,

Speranza