[lit-ideas] Re: Pomegranate

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:58:13 EDT

Ritchie wonders about 'apple-shaped', 'pear-shaped', etc:

>Isn't it odd there's so much soft fruit involved
>here: pomegranate, kiwi, limey!  Among persons,
>hardness is all, I suppose.

Right.  And then, there's 'tangerine'.

Oddly, 'tangerine' originally meant 'a native of Tangier' -- and it's  only
derivately used for the fruit. A case of reverse etymythology, or something
like that (cf. 'argentine').

Cheers,
JL

---

From the OED

'tangerine'.

[f. Tanger, Tangier + _-INE1_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=tangerine&edition=2e&first=1&max_to_sh
ow=10&single=1&sort_type=alpha&xrefed=OED&xrefword=-ine&homonym_no=1) .]

A. adj. Of or pertaining to, or native of Tangier, a seaport in  Morocco, on
the Strait of Gibraltar. Tangerine orange, a small flattened deep-coloured
variety of orange orig. from Tangier, Citrus nobilis var.  Tangeriana.
1710 ADDISON Tatler No.  250 3
An old Tangereen  Captain with a Wooden Leg.
1841 TILLERY in Gard. Chron. 781
The Tangerine  Orange.I beg to draw attention to the  cultivation of this as
a fruit for the dessert.
1882 Garden 18 Feb. 122/2 Two dishes  of Tangerine  Oranges.
B. n.
1. A native of  Tangier.

1860 All Year  Round No. 71. 491 Winterfield was sold to a  Tangarene.

2.  Now with lower-case initial.    a. A Tangerine orange: see  A.

1842 Gard.  Chron. 6 The Tangerine I suspect to be only a  variety of it [the
Mandarin Orange]. 1891 Daily  News 26 Dec. 5/4 There is an unusually good
supply of tangerines. 1908 R. W. CHAMBERS Firing Line vi, Please  get me a few
Please  gthose blood-tangerines up there.

b. A  deep orange colour; also attrib. and Comb., as tangerine-coloured  adj.
1899 Daily  News 16 Sept. 7/3 Ruddy pink and tender amethyst,  tangerine,
orange, mist-grey [etc.]. 1904 Ibid. 6 Oct. 8/4 Taking as the  colour key-note,
the fashionable tangerine shade. 1977 M. KENYON Rapist iii. 31  Shovelling
sugar into his tangerine-coloured tea.

(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/cgi/entry_main/00246743?query_type=word&queryword=tangerine&edition=2e&first=1&max_to_show=10&single=1&sor
t_type=alpha&case_id=dl0x-KCCgiQ-4226#top)