[lit-ideas] Pomegranate

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:00:06 EDT

In a message dated 6/2/2004 8:52:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
US>  Still googling "poms" in my continuing effort to understand.

Poms  (Pommie, Pommie *******) is Oz for Brit!

-- The OED has it as 'origin obscure', poss. related to 'pomegranate'.  Below.
Cheers,
JL
---

From the OED.
"Pommy"
Austral. and N.Z. colloq.
Also Pommie and with  lower-case initial. [Origin obscure.]
A. n. A derogatory term for an immigrant from the United  Kingdom; an
Englishman or Englishwoman, a Briton.    B. attrib. or as adj. Of or pertaining
 to a
Pommy; British, English, spec. (often as a term of affectionate  abuse) in
Pommy  bastard. Cf. pom-2.  The most widely held derivation of this term, for
which,  however, there is no firm evidence, is that which connects it with
pomegranate (see quots. 1923, 1963). A discussion of this and of other
theories
may be found in W. S. Ramson Australian English (1966)  63.

1915 in B.  Gammage Broken  Years (1974) 86
We call the  We call Indians and  and <NOBR>â??Britishâ??but Pommies are
nondescript.
1916 in Ibid. 240 They're only a  T lot of Pommie Jackeroos and just as
hopeless.
1916 Anzac  Bk. 31
A Pommy can't go wrong  out there if he isn't too lazy to work.
1920 D. O'REILLY in Murdoch & Drake-Brockman Austral. Short Stories (1951)
144
The â??Pommyâ?? parson  made good, as a good man always will.
1923 D. H. LAWRENCE Kangaroo vii. 162
Pommy is supposed to  be short for pomegranate. Pomegranate, pronounced
invariably pommygranate, is a  near enough rhyme to immigrant, in a naturally
rhyming country. Furthermore,  immigrants are known in their first months,
before
their blood â??thins downâ??, by  their round and ruddy cheeks. So we are told.
Ibid. 164 In this way  Mr Somers had to take himself to task, for his Pommy
stupidity.
1926 GALSWORTHY Silver Spoon  II. iv. 137
They call us Pommies  and treat us as if we'd took a liberty in coming to
their blooming country.
1933 â??P. CADEYâ?? Broken Pattern xii. 130 â??You  should have heard the
English
accent!â?? â??Pommy gab, eh?â?? commented his mate. 1938 N. MARSH  Artists in
Crime
ix. 128 She was  always shooting off her mouth about the way the Aussies
don't know a good thing  when they see it. These pommies! She gave me the
jitters.
1946 B. JAMES  in Coast to Coast 1945 63 He was  an Englishman, not a
â??pommyâ??
, mind you. It seemed he hadn't even reached to that dignity. 1947 B. MASON
in D. M. Davin N.Z. Short Stories (1953) 333 What time we had left was spent
on fruitless errands for the  Pommie matelots. 1949 F. SARGESON I saw in my
Dream  II. xiii. 118 Look at Wally's  Loshe got over her Pommy ways. 1951 D.
STIVENS Jimmy Brockett 214 Like  most of these pommy bastards, he had funny
ways
but he wasn't a bad old bloke at  heart. 1957 New  Scientist 23 May 13/3 There
is..an elusive  background of strangeness, imbued with an element of
timelessness, which comes  home to the sensitive â??new chumâ??, or
â??pommyâ??, only after
he has lived for a  while in this new-old southern continent. 1962 J. FRAME
Edge of Alphabet vii. 47 Look at  the foreigners flooding the country on every
immigrant ship, la-di-da Pommies  and all. 1963 X. HERBERT Disturbing Element
vi. 91 He still wore the heavy clumsy British type of clothing of the  day
[before 1914]. When we kids saw people on the street dressed like that we
would
yell at them: â??Jimmygrants, Pommygranates, Pommies!â?? 1966 R. D. EAGLESON in
Southerly XXVI. 200  Lest British readers should be misled, pommy is frequently

pejorative. 1974 P. MCCUTCHAN Call for Simon Shard iv. 36 I'm Australian born
and bred, not a pommie immigrant... Now,  grand-dad, 'e was a pommie bastard!
1975 Times 27 Aug 10/8 Colin  Shaw..has just sent Ernest Whitehouse an
explanation of how God came to be  described in the television programme
Beneath the
News as a â??Pommy  bastardâ??... Shaw adds that â??Pommy bastardâ?? is an â??
affectionate colloquialismâ?? in  Australia. 1979 Guardian 31 Oct. 3/2 British
Leyland
reacted angrily..to antipodean â??pommy-bashingâ?? about the quality of  buses.

Hence Pommyland, Britain, England.

1957 R. STOW  Bystander 21 I'm a Pommy. And  going back to Pommy-land, after
twenty-four years. 1967 F. HARDY  Billy Borker yarns Again 61 Sir  Robert
himself wanted to be a whiskey-taster at the Melbourne show, but ended up  as
some
kind of wharfie over in Pommy Land. 1973 Times 12 Oct. 15/7 An adaptation  of
Barry Humphries's cult strip cartoon about the life of darkest Pommie-land
seen through the eyes of an antipodean innocent. 1979 M. KAUFMAN Container iii.
31, I  suppose you'll head off back to Pommyland  now?