[lit-ideas] Re: Poles

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:44:36 -0500

I grew up in Chicago and Polack jokes were everywhere.   I was German
and German jokes were no where (although my brothers were on the
receiving end of some festering anti-German anger in the fifties (if
only my parents hadn't given us such obviously German names...
Gunther.... Gerhard.... Harald.... Ingrid.... Ursula....).

When I moved to Canada in 1968, I discovered the same jokes, only aimed
at Newfies.   I didn't realize that Polack jokes had a larger venue than
Chicago.   I always assumed that it had something to do with their
relative social status in Chicago, but if the Polack joke is more
widespread, then that's not likely the sole answer.

Now, I'm guessing that none of this answers your question, David.   The
general observation is that every culture identifies its 'out' group.
 But I guess you're asking how the Poles got to be that out group for so
much of the States.   Were Polack jokes told in Atlanta?   In Seattle?
In Memphis?   In Truth or Consequences?   I don't know.   But those
answers surely inform the main answer.

Ursula
in Canada, where all the jokes are Newfie jokes (but told lovingly,
don't you know....)