[lit-ideas] Re: Polar bears vital step closer to winning US Presidency

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 16:42:12 -0230

Traveller: "Excuse me sir, could you tell me the way to Dublin?"
Irishman: "Well, I wouldn't start from here, m'laddie."

In Georgia, the story's a tad different:

Lost driver to farmer met on a dirt road somewhere in the boondoks: "Excuse me
sir, could you tell me how I could get back to the I-95?"
Farmer (chewing thoughtfully on his pipe): "Well, you cyan't gyet dare from
heere."

Stories told by Walter in the course of teaching Education students something of
the nature of validly drawn conclusions in argument.

Walter: "So you see, you can't get to the conclusion given the evidence provided
in the premises. The inference is invalid."

Brittany: But Megan did! She just said so.

Walter: Well, yes, but Megan is different ...

Procrastinating in the face of a pile of students' drafts on a 75 degree
afternoon in the east end of St. John's, NewfoundLAND. Summer teaching - god
love it. Still no polar bears. But rumours of icebergs galore!

Cheers, Walter