[lit-ideas] Re: Polar bears vital step closer to winning US Presidency

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 14:16:57 EDT

In a message dated 7/8/2011 1:09:50 P.M. ,  donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-13965286
Next:  getting rid of the citizen-by-birth rule.

From the site --  caption

"All today's polar bears' maternal ancestors were from  Ireland."

which reminded me of my favourite lyricist's lyric:

Maurice Cohen,

author of

"Did your mother come from Ireland?"

and

"When you talk about Old Ireland"

--- his real name wasn't "Carr".

---- (he also wrote stuff with Maschwitz)

"All today's polar bears' maternal ancestors were from Ireland."

Oh, I've never seen old Ireland o'er the ocean
Tho' I've wished for the  chance to greet it
In my mind I've always had a crazy notion
That I'd know  a bit of Irish when I meet it

Did your mother come from Ireland?
'Cos there's something in you  Irish
Will you tell me where you get those Irish eyes?
And before she left  Killarney
Did your mother kiss the Blarney?
'Cos your little touch of  brogue you can't disguise

Oh, I wouldn't be romancin'
I can almost see you dancin'
While the  Kerry pipers play
Shure! And maybe we'll be sharin'
In the shamrock you'll  be wearin'
On the next Saint Patrick's Day

Did your mother come from Ireland?
'Cos there's something in you  Irish
And that bit of Irish steals my heart away

Speranza

--

Cohen was born in Leeds.

.