[lit-ideas] Re: Poetry x 2 = Sabbatical

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 23:43:14 -0400

That'll be the day when I read Hegel in Russian.  I liked Leonardo di
Caprio in the movie Aviator.  I did the owl quote quickly from memory.
Night is wrong; it's dusk.  I stand corrected.

For Stan, I don't quite follow how if one is grounded in logic one can
still subscribe to a religion, any religion?  To have a religion one needs
to believe in burning bushes that talk and God micromanaging life and all
the other stuff, no?  Or where is the religion?

Flug.'

> This is at the end of the Preface to Hegel's Philosophy of Right. It
implies
> that philosophy cannot say how things will be but can only understand
events
> after they've revealed themselves. Something like that.
>
> 'The owl of Minerva first begins her flight with the onset of dusk.'
('The owl
> of Minerva begins first with the [falling of]dusk her flight.') The
translation
> in parentheses is nearly word for word--I'm not sure how to translate
> 'einbrechenden'--but it's barbarous English. If Joseph Campbell has a
different
> version, it would be interesting to see it; and to see a Russian
translation as
> well.
>
> 'When philosophy paints its grey on grey, then has a shape of life grown
old. By
> philosophy's grey on grey it cannot be rejuvenated but only understood.
The owl
> of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of the dusk.' [T. M.
Knox,