[lit-ideas] Re: Poetry x 2 = Sabbatical

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 20:21:07 -0500

Erin Holder wrote:

I told my SO that I thought it would be fun to get drunk and carve a pumpkin into a transcendental unity but he said "only if I get to hold the knife" :(

Carving something like a Pieta might be beautiful, but carving a Jack O Lantern seems to me to border on the sublime, which is the closest human perception can come to the transcendent--a creation without rules, or at least a challenge to the existing rules and categories. So indeed I think you are on to something here. It's your dissertation topic: The Critique of Pumpkin Judgement.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lisle, IL, USA