[lit-ideas] Re: Poet Managers

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:17:11 -0500

I've also attended talks where the presenter merely read off the slides. But that doesn't begin to demonstrate what pp could be. It's like dismissing all of tv because most of it is fatuous. My pp is more like a slide show providing backdrop to a particular part of the discussion. Sometimes it's artworks or maps or images of artefacts that relate to what I'm talking about -- defiantly NOT bullets that summarize my points. (and, as I said, I have to tell my students that because most professors use the slides that come with their textbook...goofy clipart included)

Ursula
huffing and puffing...

Robert Paul wrote:
Ursula wrote

I kind of get my back up when PowerPoint is dismissed in this way.   I
use PP in some of my lectures but don't begin with anything provided by
the textbook companies.  I tell my students that my PP doesn't outline
the lecture -- it merely illustrates those things which lend themselves
to illustration.   In other words, I use PP the way I want (often art
and music) and not the way you seem to be dismissing here.  Nothing
personal...

I stopped going to what had been a very collegial annual aesthetics conference (in a very congenial setting) when power point presentations (the high points of arguments displayed on a movie screen) began to outnumber real talks by real live people who could speak human to human, thus giving the impression that they cared about what they were presenting. PowerPoint cannot replace this sense of genuine dialogue, even granted that the 'human' presenter may be reading from her own script. I'll bet that Donal can't imagine Wittgenstein using PowerPoint. But maybe he can.

Robert Paul