[lit-ideas] Plurarising Milton

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 19:28:29 -0400

I haven't been following the references and appeals to Perry, but what's
offered here as something from 'Perry's hymn,' are in fact
the beginning of Blake's 'Jerusalem,' other lines from which provided the
title of a well-known British film about running.
Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Thanks.

Below are hits for "bring me my arrow [sic in the singular]", which some
prefer. Milton didn't. He has many arrows of desire, or as Grice would say,
"at least more than one" -- so the use of "(Ex)" would be misleading.

O. T. O. H., that film about running certainly pluralised the chariots!

I think the director later explained he regretted, "But on the other hand,"
(he never mentioned a first hand), "perhaps it would mislead viewers if I
were to title my film "Chariot of fire"".

I think Geary has a copy of the interview! (And he prefers "Pluralizing"!)

As for the initial "And," Geary explains: "Milton started 'out of the
blue,' and in such a case an initial "and" _is_ acceptable. Another example
would be: "And yes, we have no bananas".

"He could not have started with 'but' though: "But did those feet?" -- even
if 'but' gets often pluralized for effect, as in "If "ifs" and "buts" were
candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." "Since we SHOULD have a
merry Christmas, the utterer implicates that ifs and buts SHOULD be candy
and nuts."

Cheers,

Speranza

The North American Review
https://books.google.com/books?id... - Traduci questa pagina
1922 - ‎North American review and miscellaneous journal
Bring me my bow of burning gold, Bring me my arrow of desire

Song that remind you of the UK - British Expats
britishexpats.com/.../song-remind-you-uk-336873/
Traduci questa pagina
11 nov 2005 - 15 post - ‎12 autori
"Bring me my arrow of desire..."

The Big Draft - jstor
_www.jstor.org/stable/25112766_ (http://www.jstor.org/stable/25112766) -
Traduci questa pagina
di MP Montague - ‎1922
Bring me my bow of burning gold,. Bring me my arrow of desire;. Bring me
my spear; 0 clouds unfold!

MYOH- makeyourownherstory | jerusalem relevance | Wix.com
nicgreen.wix.com/makeyourownherstory#!... - Traduci questa pagina
Bring me my arrow of desire ...

Full text of "The Big Draft" - Internet Archive
https://archive.org/stream/jstor.../25112766_djvu.t...
bring me my bow of burning gold, Bring me my arrow of desire; Bring me my
spear; ...

Off for a work break (Unibondleague) - InvisionFree
z13.invisionfree.com/unibondleague/ar/t19.htm - Traduci questa pagina
23 ago 2005 - 8 post - ‎3 autori
Bring me my arrow of desire

_www.divineviewpoint.com/ss_6-01.htm_
(http://www.divineviewpoint.com/ss_6-01.htm)
Traduci questa pagina
26 giu 2005 - Bring me my arrow of desire. ...... Even the savage Indian
made bows and arrows, tomahawks, and feathered headdress, but no buffalo cut
out ...

UNB Honorary Degrees Database - UNB Libraries
_www.lib.unb.ca/.../results.php_ (http://www.lib.unb.ca/.../results.php)
?...
Traduci questa pagina
Bring me my arrow of desire!

UNB Honorary Degrees Database - UNB Libraries
_www.lib.unb.ca/archives/.../results.php?action_
(http://www.lib.unb.ca/archives/.../results.php?action) ...
Traduci questa pagina
Honorary Degree Recipient: Anglin, Francis A. Year: 1930 (Fredericton ...
contents - OUDL Home
oudl.osmania.ac.in/.../214698_The_Amazing_Engl... - Traduci questa pagina
Bring me my arrow of desire!