[lit-ideas] Planet Reagan

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 20:53:35 EDT

I'd be interested in reactions to this assessment.

Julie Krueger

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/060704A.shtml

Planet Reagan
    By William Rivers Pitt
    t r u t h o u t | Perspective
    Monday 07 June 2004
Buffalo Bill's
defunct
who used to
ride a watersmooth-silver
stallion
and break onetwothreefourfive pigeonsjustlikethat
Jesus
he was a handsome man
and what i want to know is
how do you like your blueeyed boy
Mister Death

- e.e. cummings, "Buffalo Bill's Defunct"

    Ronald Reagan is dead now, and everyone is being nice to him. In every
aspect, this is appropriate. He was a husband and a father, a beloved member of
a family, and he will be missed by those he was close to. His death was long,
slow and agonizing because of the Alzheimer's Disease which ruined him, one
drop of lucidity at a time. My grandmother died ten years ago almost to the day
because of this disease, and this disease took ten years to do its dirty,
filthy, wretched work on her.
    The dignity and candor of Reagan's farewell letter to the American people
was as magnificent a departure from public life as any that has been seen in
our history, but the ugly truth of his illness was that he lived on, and on,
and on. His family and friends watched as he faded from the world of the real,
as the simple dignity afforded to all life collapsed like loose sand behind
his ever more vacant eyes. Only those who have seen Alzheimer's Disease invade
mind can know the truth of this. It is a cursed way to die.
    In this mourning space, however, there must be room made for the truth.
Writer Edward Abbey once said, "The sneakiest form of literary subtlety, in a
corrupt society, is to speak the plain truth. The critics will not understand
you; the public will not believe you; your fellow writers will shake their
heads."
    The truth is straightforward: Virtually every significant problem facing
the American people today can be traced back to the policies and people that
came from the Reagan administration. It is a laundry list of ills, woes and
disasters that has all of us, once again, staring apocalypse in the eye.
    How can this be? The television says Ronald Reagan was one of the most
beloved Presidents of the 20th century. He won two national elections, the
second by a margin so overwhelming that all future landslides will be judged by
the
high-water mark he achieved against Walter Mondale. How can a man so
universally respected have played a hand in the evils which corrupt our days?
    The answer lies in the reality of the corrupt society Abbey spoke of. Our
corruption is the absolute triumph of image over reality, of flash over
substance, of the pervasive need within most Americans to believe in a
happy-face
version of the nation they call home, and to spurn the reality of our estate as
unpatriotic. Ronald Reagan was, and will always be, the undisputed
heavyweight champion of salesmen in this regard.
    Reagan was able, by virtue of his towering talents in this arena, to sell
to the American people a flood of poisonous policies. He made Americans feel
good about acting against their own best interests. He sold the American
people a lemon, and they drive it to this day as if it was a Cadillac. It isn't
the
lies that kill us, but the myths, and Ronald Reagan was the greatest
myth-maker we are ever likely to see.
    Mainstream media journalism today is a shameful joke because of Reagan's
deregulation policies. Once upon a time, the Fairness Doctrine ensured that
the information we receive - information vital to the ability of the people to
govern in the manner intended - came from a wide variety of sources and
perspectives. Reagan's policies annihilated the Fairness Doctrine, opening the
door
for a few mega-corporations to gather journalism unto themselves. Today,
Reagan's old bosses at General Electric own three of the most-watched news
channels.
This company profits from every war we fight, but somehow is trusted to tell
the truths of war. Thus, the myths are sold to us.
    The deregulation policies of Ronald Reagan did not just deliver
journalism to these massive corporations, but handed virtually every facet of
our lives
into the hands of this privileged few. The air we breathe, the water we
drink, the food we eat are all tainted because Reagan battered down every
environmental regulation he came across so corporations could improve their
bottom
line. Our leaders are wholly-owned subsidiaries of the corporations that were
made
all-powerful by Reagan's deregulation craze. The Savings and Loan scandal of
Reagan's time, which cost the American people hundreds of billions of dollars,
is but one example of Reagan's decision that the foxes would be fine guards
in the henhouse.
    Ronald Reagan believed in small government, despite the fact that he grew
government massively during his time. Social programs which protected the
weakest of our citizens were gutted by Reagan's policies, delivering millions
into despair. Reagan was able to do this by caricaturing the "welfare queen,"
who
punched out babies by the barnload, who drove the flashy car bought with your
tax dollars, who refused to work because she didn't have to. This was a
vicious, racist lie, one result of which was the decimation of a generation by
crack cocaine. The urban poor were left to rot because Ronald Reagan believed
in
'self-sufficiency.'
    Because Ronald Reagan could not be bothered to fund research into 'gay
cancer,' the AIDS virus was allowed to carve out a comfortable home in America.
The aftershocks from this callous disregard for people whose homosexuality was
deemed evil by religious conservatives cannot be overstated. Beyond the
graves of those who died from a disease which was allowed to burn unchecked,
there
are generations of Americans today living with the subconscious idea that sex
equals death.
    The veneer of honor and respect painted across the legacy of Ronald
Reagan is itself a myth of biblical proportions. The coverage proffered today
of
the Reagan legacy seldom mentions impropriety until the Iran/Contra scandal
appears on the administration timeline. This sin of omission is vast. By the
end
of his term in office, some 138 Reagan administration officials had been
convicted, indicted or investigated for misconduct and/or criminal activities.
    Some of the names on this disgraceful roll-call: Oliver North, John
Poindexter, Richard Secord, Casper Weinberger, Elliott Abrams, Robert C.
McFarlane,
Michael Deaver, E. Bob Wallach, James Watt, Alan D. Fiers, Clair George,
Duane R. Clarridge, Anne Gorscuh Burford, Rita Lavelle, Richard Allen, Richard
Beggs, Guy Flake, Louis Glutfrida, Edwin Gray, Max Hugel, Carlos Campbell, John
Fedders, Arthur Hayes, J. Lynn Helms, Marjory Mecklenburg, Robert Nimmo, J.
William Petro, Thomas C. Reed, Emanuel Savas, Charles Wick. Many of these names
are lost to history, but more than a few of them are still with us today,
'rehabilitated' by the administration of George W. Bush.
    Ronald Reagan actively supported the regimes of the worst people ever to
walk the earth. Names like Marcos, Duarte, Rios Mont and Duvalier reek of
blood and corruption, yet were embraced by the Reagan administration with
passionate intensity. The ground of many nations is salted with the bones of
those
murdered by brutal rulers who called Reagan a friend. Who can forget his
support
of those in South Africa who believed apartheid was the proper way to run a
civilized society?
    One dictator in particular looms large across our landscape. Saddam
Hussein was a creation of Ronald Reagan. The Reagan administration supported
the
Hussein regime despite his incredible record of atrocity. The Reagan
administration gave Hussein intelligence information which helped the Iraqi
military use
their chemical weapons on the battlefield against Iran to great effect. The
deadly bacterial agents sent to Iraq during the Reagan administration are a
laundry list of horrors.
    The Reagan administration sent an emissary named Donald Rumsfeld to Iraq
to shake Saddam Hussein's hand and assure him that, despite public American
condemnation of the use of those chemical weapons, the Reagan administration
still considered him a welcome friend and ally. This happened while the Reagan
administration was selling weapons to Iran, a nation notorious for its support
of international terrorism, in secret and in violation of scores of laws.
    Another name on Ronald Reagan's roll call is that of Osama bin Laden. The
Reagan administration believed it a bully idea to organize an army of Islamic
fundamentalists in Afghanistan to fight the Soviet Union. bin Laden became
the spiritual leader of this action. Throughout the entirety of Reagan's term,
bin Laden and his people were armed, funded and trained by the United States.
Reagan helped teach Osama bin Laden the lesson he lives by today, that it is
possible to bring a superpower to its knees. bin Laden believes this because he
has done it once before, thanks to the dedicated help of Ronald Reagan.
    In 1998, two American embassies in Africa were blasted into rubble by
Osama bin Laden, who used the Semtex sent to Afghanistan by the Reagan
administration to do the job. In 2001, Osama bin Laden thrust a dagger into the
heart of
the United States, using men who became skilled at the art of terrorism with
the help of Ronald Reagan. Today, there are 827 American soldiers and over
10,000 civilians who have died in the invasion and occupation of Iraq, a war
that
came to be because Reagan helped manufacture both Saddam Hussein and Osama
bin Laden.
    How much of this can be truthfully laid at the feet of Ronald Reagan? It
depends on who you ask. Those who worship Reagan see him as the man in charge,
the man who defeated Soviet communism, the man whose vision and charisma made
Americans feel good about themselves after Vietnam and the malaise of the
1970s. Those who despise Reagan see him as nothing more than a pitch-man for
corporate raiders, the man who allowed greed to become a virtue, the man who
smiled vapidly while allowing his officials to run the government for him.
    In the final analysis, however, the legacy of Ronald Reagan - whether he
had an active hand in its formulation, or was merely along for the ride - is
beyond dispute. His famous question, "Are you better off now than you were four
years ago?" is easy to answer. We are not better off than we were four years
ago, or eight years ago, or twelve, or twenty. We are a badly damaged state,
ruled today by a man who subsists off Reagan's most corrosive final gift to us
all: It is the image that matters, and be damned to the truth.

    William Rivers Pitt is the senior editor and lead writer for t r u t h o
u t. He is a New York Times and international bestselling author of two books
- 'War on Iraq: What Team Bush Doesn't Want You to Know' and 'The Greatest
Sedition is Silence.'
  -------