[lit-ideas] Re: Pirates and Sodomy

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 19:54:16 EDT

In a message dated 4/12/2009 7:39:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
No one who speaks English seems to know

----

The question, is, did the Marquis seemed to speak?

----
google hits:

---

Did you mean: "sodomite" Queensbury

Search  Results
Fridae - News & Features Article :: Wilde Vs Wilde by Ng  Yi-Sheng
Feb 20, 2009 ... I think the Marquis of Queensberry  misspelled "sodomite"
as "sondomite" and not "somdomite", as stated in the  article above.  ...
www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/article.php?articleid=2399&viewarticle=1  - 50k
- Cached - Similar pages
Authonomy
Sanctimonious, priggish,  repressed and posing as a sondomite, how's that
just ... Sorry I had to ask my  ol' pal the Marquis of Queensbury for help
with the  ...
www.authonomy.com/Forum/Posts.aspx?forumId=4&threadId=16832&pageNumber=68
- 74k - Cached - Similar pages
VICTORIAN ERA'S TRIAL OF THE CENTURY. - Free  Online Library
... as the Marquis of Queensbury) is a title in the  peerage of Scotland.
... district). who first accused Wilde of being a ``posing  sondomite'' (the
www.thefreelibrary.com/VICTORIAN+ERA'S+TRIAL+OF+THE+CENTURY-a083812816 -
24k - Cached - Similar pages
Oscar Wilde's Prison Door Goes On Display At  Galleries Of Justice ...
The catalyst to Wilde’s downfall in the  courts was the Marquess of
Queensberry sending Wilde a card stating ‘For Oscar  Wilde posing Sondomite’
(sic).  ...
www.culture24.org.uk/history/literary+history/art52164 - 31k - Cached -
Similar pages
Displaying All Wilde's Many Sides; A London Show Moves to the  ...
... saying, ''for Oscar Wilde posing sondomite'' (as he spelled  it). That
infamous card, which provoked Wilde's lawsuit against Queensberry and  the
query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C02E6D81538F931A2575AC0A9679C8B63&p
a...  - 48k - Cached - Similar pages
Richard Miskolci - Life as a Work of Art
When the Marquis of Queensberry, his lover’s father, left a note in his
closet with his caricature and the phrase, “Oscar Wilde posing as a sondomite
(sic)” ...
www.ufscar.br/richardmiskolci/life.htm - Similar pages
BBC -  London - Faith - Gay and Lesbian London
... Marquis of Queensberry,  Alfred Douglas, led Wilde to take a libel suit
against the Marquis who publicly  accused Wilde of "posing as a sondomite
[sic]".  ...
www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2005/05/27/gay_london_feature.shtml
- 22k - Cached - Similar pages
Oscar Wilde - Encyclopædia Dæmonica
However, Douglas' father, the Marquess of Queensbury objected to his son
...  the card bearing the inscription "To Oscar Wilde, posing as a Sondomite.
daemonica.org/wiki/Oscar_Wilde - 61k - Cached - Similar  pages
Alcibiades at the door: gay discourses in French literature - Google  Books
Result
by Lawrence R. Schehr - 1995 - Literary Criticism - 207  pages
Even Oscar Wilde was accused by the Marquess of Queensbury as "posing  as a
sondomite" [sic]; the most flagrant violation, I suppose, had to be
misspelled ...
books.google.com/books?isbn=0804724679...
Chicago Journals  - American Journal of Sociology
When Wilde picked it up 10 days later,  he read the note as, “To Oscar
Wilde, ponce and sondomite.” Queensberry would  later maintain that he had
scribbled,  ...
www.journals.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/resolve?AJS080334 - Similar pages
by  A Adut - 2005 - Cited by 7 - Related articles - All 5 versions
Did you mean  to search for: "sodomite" Queensbury

JLS
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220572838x1201387489/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26
hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DAprilfooterNO62)