[lit-ideas] Re: Piggy-eyed wonder

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 00:13:01 EDT

The ice-racing and Virginia's ice-trek and the visions of (Beth?  Bessie?
it's been a while) in the stars knocked me flat.  The waterfall bath
description...  his visual descriptions of everything were so intense and so
beauty-bathed.  It was, yes, a little uneven ....  but the extraordinary parts
were SO
extraordinary....  and when I read the last page it was one of those books that
grieved was over; I wanted more pages and more.  But beyond all that it was a
book of such enormous grace....  I have to admit in my ignorance to being
shocked at your e-mail.  I did not know <gasp of shame> that he was a
speech-writer for Bush Sr.  But not even that can dim my adoration.  I did not
even know
he had other novels.  I think because someone told me he was a political type
and broke the mold long enough to write one fiction piece.  They will be
ordered tout de suite.
Julie Krueger