[lit-ideas] Re: Piggy-eyed wonder

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 23:59:43 EDT

In a message dated 5/26/2004 11:36:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
JulieReneB@xxxxxxx writes:
maybe someone here
will have read this deluge of beauty?).
_____
Yes, I've read it. The opening sections with the horse running through lower
Manhattan is gorgeous prose. Helprin succeeds beyond expectation for about 150
pages, IMHO, absolutely stunningly imagined.  However, the story seems to
flatten into burlesque with the battling newspaper chains and I left it with a
sense that he didn't create a unity.  _Memoir Found in an Antproof Case_ has an
amusing narrator, and strikes me as more successful. _A Soldier of the Great
War_ likewise.  My favorite Helprin novel is _Refiner's Fire_.

His short stories strike me as even more accomplished, great models of
blazing technique, such as in the _Ellis Island_ collection.

Don't know what fiction he's written since that stint as Bush, Sr.'s
speechwriter. Maybe that experience just knocked the wind out of him and all he
does
is politics? Sad if true.

Always ready with two cents,
Eric