[lit-ideas] Picks of the week

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 14:12:47 EDT

Demonstrating the complete and total loss of all self-control and discipline
on the part of Americans, I give you the ultimate:
CNN.com - Mouth device helps dieters take small bites - May 19, 2004

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.fitness/05/19/diet.device.ap/index.html

and, for the most Surreal ....the world's first 3-D internet Church.....  oh
do go in and take a look at what your "character" can do (just right click for
options!)... ( you go to www.shipoffools.com (sic), then click on "for
blessing" and it takes you here):

http://www.shipoffools.com/church/index.html  Click on "enter Church" and
then on "Launch the Church".  (I am not making this up.)  You can view the
icons
on the wall close-up, cause your character to genuflect, kneel, raise hands
and shout hallelujah, or say the rosary.  It functions as a chat room where you
can talk to the people sitting in the pews near you.  You can even go up to
the alter, kneel, and, presumably, get saved.  There are weekly sermons on
Sunday mornings.  Oh, don't forget the virtual collection plate....  Uh, if you
enter, remember that each of the little 3-D people you see in there are not
programmed characters -- they are real people entering this chat room to kneel,
shout, whatever it is they are doing.  I can't tell you the number of levels on
which this makes my head spin.

Julie Krueger
sorry to be the bearer of such tidings