[lit-ideas] Pickled Ginger (or: Condiment Queen)

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 16:25:12 EDT

So yesterday I cleaned out my fridge.  I won't try to describe the horror.
In the end, though, I discovered that I have 7 flavours of mustard, 8 varieties
of jelly, 10 salad dressings, Fresh Fennel Relish, Chili Garlic Sauce,
Pickeled Ginger, Creamy Garlic Butter w/ Cumin, Basil & Garlic Pesto, sun dried
tomatos packed in oil, oil cured olives, capers, and pimientos.  I'm trying to
figure out how to make this into a meal.  Or even one of these things.  I
bought
the Pickled Ginger because it was in or on something (sushi maybe?) at a
Chinese restaurant once and I loved it so much I asked what it was and by
serendipity saw a jar of it at a grocery later.  I every once in a while open
the jar
and nibble on a slice and remember how good it is.  But, really, have you ever
seen a recipe that includes pickled ginger??  I think I'm going to go to the
store, buy a vast quantity of pita chips, put one of the above listed jarred
items on each, and present it as supper.
Julie Krueger
failing miserably at domesticity today