[lit-ideas] Re: Picking a few bones with Edmundson's English Major

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:16:49 -0500

RP: "I think that 'language speaks man' is from Heidegger's Poetry,
Language, Thought. I have no idea what it means."

I've always taken it to mean that language is essential to the definition
of "human."  We cannot function as a human apart from the use of language,
we speak it continually, to ourselves and to one another, thinking is
internal languaging.  How we use language determines our culture our
values, our self-identity -- everything, in short.  We are the languagers.

Mike Geary
languidly languaging in a mellifluous Mississippi Delta drawl.