[lit-ideas] Re: Physics and Philosophy

  • From: "Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx" <ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:15:04 +0000 (UTC)

Eric is right.   Most teachers couldn't do this fairly or evenly...or
even.   Maybe two generations down the road of your system...but I
wouldn't hold my breath.   Good teachers don't grow on trees.   I
know.  I went to teacher's college.   I have this ongoing conversation
with my mother.  She (80 yrs old) insists that they just don't teach
ethics or morals in the schools anymore -- never mind courtesy.     I
tell her they do, but children see through that.  They look at the
world and figure out pretty quickly what's going on -- how things are
really done.   Teachers have to live what they teach or they are just
mouthing the words.   Most of them are happy just mouthing the words.
Kohlberg's morality scale places most teachers at 4 out of 6.   He was
probably being generous.

And, Eric, I like your concerto idea.

Ursula,
slouching towards five on Kohlberg's scale