[lit-ideas] Re: Photos, this morning's and other's

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 02:41:29 -0700

Mike,

Susan regularly asks me to "overhaul" her desktop or laptop.  I've often
wondered how people get by who don't have someone in their family who knows
how to overhaul the "damn things".

I assume your interest in photography occurred back in the film days . . .
an image of Norma Desmond . . . .

There is a genre name for the sort of photography you described in an
earlier note: Street Photography.  I don't know if they used that term back
in the film days, but they use it now.  Walk up and down shabby streets
snapping photos of depressed-looking people and you are a Street
Photographer.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_photography

I used a "Rangefinder" like the ones referred to in the above article.  Mine
was an Olympus 35RC http://www.cameraquest.com/olyrc.htm  But I never walked
the streets with it.   You may recall the recent discovery of the photos of
Vivien Maier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivian_Maier).  She did that.

From what I see in the forums, people interested in Street Photography like
to do a lot of it in Black and White aiming for a gritty, film noir look . .
.  Ida Tarbell, Frank Norris, Upton Sinclair, Lincoln Steffens . . . .  Muck
exists.  It is always with us, but it takes a certain sort of person to want
to rake it.  My recent confrontation with the Scientology security guards is
near enough for me - not the confrontation itself but the muckraking
articles I read about them afterwards.

Lawrence