[lit-ideas] Philosophy of Mathematics -- Oxford Style

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:22:36 EST

Palma:

"The Hilbert's program is purely philosophy (nobody in mathematics  gives
nearly a fart about foundations.)"

I liked that. I suppose that leaves room for philosophers' talking.

I see if I can find out something about philosophy of mathematics --
foundations -- Oxford style.

Turing I like. I don't understand what you mean by "KG". He was Indian-born
and of course committed suicide. His life filmed with Derek Jacobi, and his
Life  written by Wilfred Hodges, a fellow of Wolfson (_not_ the Hodges of
_Logic_  Penguin, although Hodges Junior tells me he is often asked if there's
connection).

He broke the code, Turing, hence the title of Hodges's best-selling bio --
and yes, he was gay. They must have met with Wittgenstein (or "Witters" as
Austin called him) in Manchester, were both were students of engeneering, I
believe.

Cheers,

JL