[lit-ideas] Re: Philosophy and the American sublime

  • From: Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 18:43:56 -0400

But...can you really define something by just giving me a bunch of examples
of what you mean? How many does it take? Am I thick if I don't get it in
20? 1000?

"The Western Canon" is interesting, but I can't agree 100%
On Oct 2, 2015 6:41 PM, "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well now wait a minute (Geary has gotten me into an argumentative mood
today), Bloom by virtue of being a well-established critic is in an
excellent position to argue that certain poets and poems achieve this thing
he calls the American sublime. I don't think any philosopher can do it.
Philosophers can argue about the meaning of abstract sublimity, but they
can't relate sublime to certain American poets as effectively as Bloom can.

Sublime as I take Bloom to mean is the poetry or literature that
transports us aesthetically. He quotes passages to point to what he means,
to what has transported him and presumably we who are also poets or readers
of poetry will agree with most of his argument-by-examples; which is a
non-philosophical but at the same time much more satisfying way of
describing the American sublime.

Lawrence

On 10/2/2015 3:14 PM, (Redacted sender Jlsperanza for DMARC) wrote:

In a message dated 10/2/2015 11:26:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
the ones he likes the best, the ones in whom he finds this sublimity.

Bloom is no philosopher and we shouldn't expect him to provide a
conceptual
analysis of the sublime, but Catherine Lord we should! (*).
I don't think Popper ever discussed the beautiful-sublime distinction,
but
then why should he (cfr. Lakatos and the idea of the beautiful in
mathematics).
While I should not mention H. P. G., I should his sometime colleague
(and
sometime of Cornell), F. N. Sibley: that's the one I would expect us to
provide a fruitful conceptual analysis of whether this distinction
between the
beautiful and the sublime 'holds', metaphorically, water.
Cheers,
Speranza
Lord, Catherine, "A Gricean approach to aesthetic instrumentalism", The
British Journal of Aesthetics.