[lit-ideas] Re: Philosophy Of Maths

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:37:26 -0230

A very fine, clarifying account provided by Donal below, imo. The same issue
that Donal arrives at regarding mathematical knowledge is also an issue in
moral knowledge. In *Truth and Justification*, Habermas discounts realism in
the moral realm and goes the anti-realist route. (Moral judgements are
justification-immanent, not justification-transcendent like truth.)  And yet,
he grants that justifiable validity claims to moral rightness - i.e., those
upon which we can agree as to their generalizability (not "universalizability"
a la Kant) under idealized epistemic conditions of symmetry and reciprocity
-possess both a moment of construction and one of discovery. Our understanding
of math may not be all that dissimilar from our understanding of morality. I
hazard the guess that Habermas would admit moral knowledge into Popper's "World
Three," on the assumption that Donal's reconstruction of Popper is accurate. Its
moral inhabitants include all actual and possible moral judgements that satisfy
epistemic conditions of generalizability as established within discourse.

Thanks to Donal for some fine informative philosophizing here.

Walter O.
MUN