[lit-ideas] Re: Philosophy: A Very LONG Introduction

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 16:48:24 -0800 (PST)

I really think that it's time that AngloCanadians and FrancoCanadians divorce
from each other, or else shut up about their perpetual grievances. Otherwise
they might infect more tolerant and multicultural parts of the world like the
Balkans.

O.K.

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:30 AM, Walter C. Okshevsky <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
wrote:

Quoting Mike Geary <gearyservice@xxxxxxxxx>:

> " I don't know why I keep studying philosophy; I just keep
> encountering my own thoughts repeated over and over ...)"
>
> You and I both, Walter.  Only it's in poetry that I keep encountering
> myself over and over again.
>
> Mike Geary

Yeah, it's a drag. Well, at least we're not doomed to repeat past errors in our
respective genres. (Or if we are, we're in really fine company.)

Walter O

P.S. Here's another one I thought of in 1972: "The limits of my language are
the
limits of my world." I kid thee not. It came to me at the library at Loyola
College under the statue of David while reading Georg Lukacs' *History and
class consciousness*. I later uttered these words to a charming young
French-Canadian lass at The Prague Pub on Drummond Street, Montreal, over
some very nice Beaujolais. In reply, her feline brown eyes gave me a
vacant stare, started to gather up her things and said impatiently: "Hey, you'd
better drink up, the game starts in a half-hour." (It sounds more categorical
in French.)

While watching the Habs destroy Boston, light dawned gradually over the whole
and I realized that our relationship would be a very temporary one, and a very
carefully circumscribed one. I cringe to think what would have happened had I
recited some Yevtushenko to her in the original. As Plato clearly understood,
poetry has such a more powerful influence over the soul than philosophy can
ever hope to attain.