[lit-ideas] Re: Philosophy: A Very LONG Introduction

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 16:49:31 -0330

Quoting Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Couldn't resist this one, even though I have no idea who the author of the
> quote is, and I am not going to Google him at this late hour...
>
> "The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you"
>
> Neil deGrasse Tyson

Methinks Neil over-generalizes. From the perspectives of Kant's "public reason"
and Habermas's Discourse Theory of Morality, that part of the universe existing
(ek-sisting) in the human mode of being is indeed under such an obligation
(both moral and epistemic) when deliberating and judging in the public sphere.

Oh alright, let's also include them trees that are capable of propositional
knowledge, since it's such a festive time of the year. But not priests at their
pulpits, and definitely no members of the Parti Quebecois.

Walter O (who for the longest time while an undergraduate thought he had coined
the phrase "The universe just naturally grows knowers of itself." Alas, a grad
course on Hegel with Prof Harris at York U dashed my 24 yr old ego into
smithereens (sp?) I don't know why I keep studying philosophy; I just keep
encountering my own thoughts repeated over and over ...)

Research Chair of Anachronistic Historiography