[lit-ideas] Philosophy 4

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 12:06:48 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 11/25/2013 12:01:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time and
entitled "Will this be on the final?", gearyservice@xxxxxxxxx comments on the
title of a short story by Owen Wister available online:

http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/2794/

and entitled "Philosophy 4" -- by making a question and issuing a
statement:

>"Philosophy?  We don't need no stinking philosophy."

While the reference to the Western film is appreciated, the implicature
holds, and McEvoy may want to dwell on this (or not).

We don't need no stinking philosophy
---- Therefore, we don't need no "Philosophy 4"

Cfr.

"We don't need no stinking Philosophy 4"
---- Therefore we don't need no [stinking] Philosophy _simpliciter_.

The idea is that Philosophy was felt as needed by Owen Wister:

Ten questions, and no Epicharmos of Kos. But no examination paper asks
everything, and this one did ask a good deal. Bertie and Billy wrote the full
time allotted, and found that they could have filled an hour more without
coming  to the end of their thoughts. Comparing notes at lunch, their
information was  discovered to have been lacking here and there. Nevertheless,
it
was no failure;  their inner convictions were sure of fifty per cent at least,
and this was all  they asked of the gods. "I was ripping about the ego,"
said Bertie. "I was  rather splendid myself," said Billy, "when I got going.
And I gave him a huge  steer about memory." After lunch both retired to their
beds and fell into sweet  oblivion until seven o'clock, when they rose and
dined, and after playing a  little poker went to bed again pretty early.

Some six mornings later, when the Professor returned their papers to them,
their minds were washed almost as clear of Plato and Thales as were their
bodies  of yesterday's dust. The dates and doctrines, hastily memorized to
rattle off  upon the great occasion, lay only upon the surface of their minds,
and after use  they quickly evaporated. To their pleasure and most genuine
astonishment, the  Professor paid them high compliments. Bertie's discussion
of the double  personality had been the most intelligent which had come in
from any of the  class. The illustration of the intoxicated hack-driver who
had fallen from his  hack and inquired who it was that had fallen, and then
had pitied himself, was,  said the Professor, as original and perfect an
illustration of our  subjective-objectivity as he had met with in all his
researches. And Billy's  suggestions concerning the inherency of time and space
in the mind the Professor  had also found very striking and independent,
particularly his reasoning based  upon the well-known distortions of time and
space which hashish and other drugs  produce in us. This was the sort of thing
which the Professor had wanted from  his students: free comment and
discussions, the spirit of the course, rather  than any strict adherence to the
letter. He had constructed his questions to  elicit as much individual
discussion as possible and had been somewhat  disappointed in his hopes.

Yes, Bertie and Billy were astonished. But their astonishment did not equal
 that of Oscar, who had answered many of the questions in the Professor's
own  language. Oscar received seventy-five per cent for this achievement--a
good  mark. But Billy's mark was eighty-six and Bertie's ninety. "There is
some  mistake," said Oscar to them when they told him ; and he hastened to the
 Professor with his tale. "There is no mistake," said the Professor. Oscar
smiled  with increased deference. "But," he urged, "I assure you, sir, those
young men  knew absolutely nothing. I was their tutor, and they knew
nothing at all. I  taught them all their information myself." "In that case,"
replied the  Professor, not pleased with Oscar's tale-bearing, "you must have
given them more  than you could spare. Good morning."

Oscar never understood. But he graduated considerably higher than Bertie
and Billy, who were not able to discover many other courses so favorable to
"orriginal rresearch" as was Philosophy 4. That is twenty years ago, To-day
Bertie is treasurer of the New Amsterdam Trust Company, in Wall Street;
Billy is  superintendent of passenger traffic of the New York and Chicago Air
Line. Oscar  is successful too. He has acquired a lot of information. His
smile is unchanged.  He has published a careful work entitled "The Minor Poets
of Cinquecento," and  he writes book reviews for the Evening Post.

Cheers,

Speranza