[lit-ideas] Re: _Philosophy 4_

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:52:06 EST

Walter O., being stubborn:

>This still doesn't look like philosophy to me.

----- It should, though, as it _is_ philosophy. Owen Wister says, at:

_http://www.fullbooks.com/Philosophy-4-A-Story-of-Harvard-University.html_
(http://www.fullbooks.com/Philosophy-4-A-Story-of-Harvard-University.html)
_http://www.bookstexts.com/philosophy_4.html_
(http://www.bookstexts.com/philosophy_4.html)

"Here is the paper. You will not be able to answer  all the questions,
     probably, but you may be glad to know what such  things are like."

I would be glad if Walter or others can provide their comments -- critical
-- on what a good 'resolution' of the test may look like. General  guidelines
as to expected answers, and standards for grading specifying what to  expect
from a A+ student and such.

----------------------------------

        PHILOSOPHY 4

1. Thales, Zeno, Parmenides, Heracleitos, Anaxagoras. State briefly the
doctrine of each.

2. Phenomenon, noumenon. Discuss these terms. Name their modern  descendants.

3. Thought = Being. Assuming this, state the difference, if any, between  (1)
memory and anticipation; (2) sleep and waking.

4. Democritus, Pythagoras, Bacon. State the relation between them. In what
terms must the objective world ultimately be stated? Why?

5. Experience is the result of time and space being included in the nature
of mind. Discuss this.

6. Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius fuerit in sensibus. Whose
doctrine? Discuss it.

7. What is the inherent limitation in all ancient philosophy? Who first
removed it?

8. Mind is expressed through what? Matter thorugh what? Is speech the  result
or the cause of thought?

9. Discuss the nature of the ego.

10. According to Plato, Locke, Berkeley, where would the sweetness of a
honeycomb reside? Where would its shape? its weight? Where do you think these
properties reside?

-----

JLS
  Buenos Aires, Argentina