[lit-ideas] Re: Philosophical points

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 23:59:08 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Sun, 23/3/08, Eric Dean <ecdean99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Quine & Popper, if I understand their position right,
> think that things which could only be proved false at the
> end of eternity don't qualify as scientific hypotheses.

This hits it, I think, at least from P's POV. Problems with "point in time" and
"there exists", be they as they may, do not - afaicansee - impact on this
fairly simple point (btw, "end of time" might be preferable to "end of
eternity" if we have our pedantic hats on - after all, it is surely more
problematic to speak of the "end of eternity" than it is to speak of a "point
in time").

Donal

http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/