[lit-ideas] Philosophical dissertations (for the DPhil Oxon) -- on Grice & Popper: an index

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 08:54:51 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 5/2/2014 6:47:06 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I seriously think, due what we might call  'institutional bias', it would
be virtually impossible to get a First Class  degree in philosophy from
Oxbridge by arguing as Popper would argue, even though  Popper is a far greater
philosopher than anyone who gains such a First Class  degree.

It may do to explore the Bodleian for actual dissertations on Popper --
and, while we're at it -- or in it -- Grice -- to test the modal claim (a
'virtual impossib[ility]') referred to as per above.

One example might be Anita Avramides (originally from Brooklyn, currently
of Somerville) and her DPhil ('advised' by Strawson) on Grice. It was
published  as a M. I. T. title, and it's, mainly, a discussion of Davidson!

I'm sure there are LOADS of dissertations -- along the years -- in Oxbridge
 (i.e. both Oxford AND Cambridge) on Popper. There might be bigger loads at
LSE,  no doubt, but...

Now, the passage above refers to what we may call a "Popper-type of
argument", and this may need further clarification. One thing is the way Popper

_would_ argue in "Logic of Scientific Discovery" and another the way he WOULD
 argue in "Poverty of Historicism" (vide Geary, "Poppers").

Granted, McEvoy's reference does not apply strictly to 'DPhil', since there
 are other ways of getting a 'first class' degree: MA and BPhil, and it may
be a  first class MA or even BA that McEvoy's commentary can apply, too!

Cheers,

Speranza