[lit-ideas] Philosophical Questions

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:40:58 EDT

W. O., Russian by disposition, challenges Geary's questions as
philosophical. I argue they are:

In a message dated 6/28/2009 1:12:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
(1) The obvious one, of course:
why is there  anything rather than nothing?

--- This is a question of ontology and axiology (as the theory of  value).
The question 'why' is usually _philosophical_. The answer to this question
is philosophical. Some appeal to 'teleology'. I.e. for a given x (Grice's
example, a tiger), the existence of x is justified by the _telos_ of the
tiger,  to tigerise. Geary seems to be wanting a further justification for
_that_  'telos'.

(2) What does "is" mean? That
is, is it possible to define  existence?  I'm thinking no.

---

In predicate logic, existence is notably _not_ a predicate, so the issue
has been raised that 'to be' indeed has no connotation or denotation. The
clue  is in the 'predication' relation. P predicated of S, without use of the
copula.

The various categorisations of 'existence' are interesting per se.
Strawson, my favourite metaphysician, considers 'spatio-temporal continuant' as
definition for 'existence', disallowing things like beauty, value, etc. can
_exist_. The term is mediaeval and formed out of in- plus sist. 'being' is
better and less 'pedantic'.

(3) Does anything
have meaning in and of itself, that is, outside the  meaning we ascribe to
it?  How could we know that?

'Meaning' is a trick of a notion, in English. Grice distinguished some
uses and it usually comes out as a dyadic relationship ('those spots mean
measles') or a triadic relation ('those spots mean measles to the doctor').
There are other notions behind 'meaning'. I would think Geary has in mind
'importance', or 'import'. "meaning" itself is related to 'mind', and an
anglicism only.

(4)  Doth God exact day labor, light denied?
That is to say, is  there any moral concept that is not culturally
contingent?  How can we  know that?

Mackie in Inventing right and wrong argues for the negative. Ditto Philippa
 Foot. Grice, while not engaged in 'cultural studies' argues for some
objectivity  of value in terms even of a constructed item.

(5)  Is a thought a thing?  Does it have
existence?   That is to say, is intentionality just another form of
masturbation?

For phenomenologists or semantic externalists (like Grice in his best
days), indeed, thought can be de re, not just about mere thought or flatus
vocis. Indeed, a justification along transcendental lines (i.e. to prove the
impossibility of otherwise) can be provided that thought _cannot_ be just
masturbatory.

(6) Where do new ideas come from?  Heidegger seems (it seems
to  me) to suggest they develop out of a misunderstanding of words /
concepts --  is creativity then a child of ignorance?

Heuristics, or the study of creativity, is a big mystery for philosophers
of science. Abduction is to me the ticket. The best argumentation seems to
be  abductive in nature, rather than deductive (where no new ideas are
generated) or  inductive (where new ideas are generated, but weakly so). But
the
example of the  centaur is interesting to me in that imagination seems to be
overrated. The idea  of a centaur is the old idea of horse and man combined.

(7)  Belief in a god
is shared by something like 90% of the human  race.  Why?  And why is it
that
the extremist religious fanatics  are almost always men?  (I say it's fear
of
women -- is religion then  but a male bulwark against their own cupidity?
Surely it is.)

Theology figured large in Greek philosophy and I always wondered. Since the
 Greek tradition was preserved by the monks, one has to suspect something.
Aristotle, 'theos' and theos as 'gnosis gnoseos' comes to mind (God as the
thinker of thoughts). In general, vintage Greek philosophy -- Socrates and
the  Athenian School pre- Aristotle -- does not seem to be God-dominated.
Religion is  the opium of the people.

(8)  Was Michael Jackson a real human being or a product of
Pixar?  I can't decide --  his life was so screwed-up that it had  to be
fiction, either that or it had to be true.  I'm glad I wasn't  Michael
Jackson.  He must have gone thru hell many, many times in his  life.  But
watching him perform was equivalent to what philosophy means  to me.  See
if
you can decipher what that means.  Let me  know.  I need to know.

The study of specific cultural phenomena can be done philosophically. The
analogy of philosophy with a Michael Jackson performance is good, although
perhaps a bit superficial. You _enjoy_ a performance, but do you have to
_enjoy_  philosophy? Grice said yes, "Philosophy has to be fun"; and convivial
at heart.  Philosophy is more of a collaborative performance, though -- not
just _see_  Michael Jackson. I particularly find a one showman performance
of the  philosophical kind -- I could name a few -- boring. In lectures, I
tend to want  to provide a question, but this is tricky, since not all
philosophers 'welcome'  questions. There is a connotation of 'passion' in what
Geary writes, "Watching  him perform WAS (is no more?) equivalent to what
philosophy means to me."  Philosophers can be passionate. I would think Grice
got
the more passionate when  interacting philosophically with Strawson, but
there was Oxonian rigueur and  inhibition in that, too. "People would complain
that our dialogues were so brief  to be unintelligible to a third party" --
and this is bad when the third party  is the student of their collaborative
seminars!

Cheers,

JL Speranza
   Buenos Aires, Argentina