[lit-ideas] Re: Philosophical Inwestigations

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:10:48 -0400

I don't have the time nor energy to answer to all of Donal's
answers/statements/insults?, but in the spirit of keeping a thread going, I
offer a few explanations/rejoinders:

>I don't know what "panta rei" means. Sorry.

I forgot the 'd'

It's "panta reid"

This is the theory that the same sorority room is never the same on a
subsequent visit (theory first put forth by well known Greek brother
Hereaclitis). NOTAE: according to Ritchie, the modern transliteration might
actually be "Panty Reed"

> > 3) What kind of a sentence is "mourning the passing while passing the
> > morning", and, what does it REALLY mean?
>
>In short:- fuck knows.

"I am Fuck. Fuck of the mountain" (many thanks to George Carlin) and I know
and I'm not telling.

> > 5) In spite of what Edmonds and Eidinow say, in Oct of '46, did Russell
> > actually turn green and split his suit open when Ludwig called him "Bertie"
> > in a voice that questioned his virility?
>
>Trick question. How could W question R's "virility"? Didn't Malcolm show how
>W could never have had sex? The recipient would have gone up in smoke. Pure
>and simple.

Ah, it WAS a trick question, but not in the way you reason. It was a trick
because the last sentence is ambiguous and the voice that Witty was using
questioned his OWN virility and thus Russell, being the homophobe that he
was, secretly excluding the set of all fruity German Philosophers, went
hulk on his ass. Well, not actually ON his ass, but he wasn't fond of
Wittgenstein's poker.

> > 11) Is the following sentence (from Richard Dawkins' "Selfish Gene") "For
> > instance, robins defend territories against other robins, but not against
> > great tits." innately funny? or learnedly so? Is it a cultural thing or
> > does it require ignorance of Lockeian proportions?
>
>Both.

Or all four?

Canada